Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My little soapbox.

First let me say, I am not an athiest.
I don't believe the popular athiest claim religion is an evil construct. Most religions preach peacefulness, but too many people use religion as an excuse to do unspeakable acts of hatred and discrimination. These acts would still go on even if religion didn't exist; religion just provides an excuse. People will still be evil.
Seeking spirituality is a fairly universal human trait. However, I think that people originally turned to religion to seek answers, like what makes the sun rise? The seasons change? A good crop grow?...as well as deeper questions such as one's purpose in life.
Science has answered a lot of questions that religions used to answer. We know why the sun rises, and what factors can ensure a good crop. Science has not answered all our questions, and maybe, one day, it will. I think a lot of people who claim science is destroying religion don't realize that both science and religion both originated from the same thing: human curiosity.
I don't believe in God, not in the Christian sense. For me, "God" is the immensely complex structure of sciences and statistics which have produced the world we live in. I think there may be worlds and dimensions we do not yet know of, and sometimes scientists themselves can be too close minded.
But, above all things, I believe in following the evidence, following the reason.
As an agnostic Buddhist, I don't care if there is a god or not, I don't care where I end up after I die. I don't believe in the concept of a soul. To me, the most important thing is to follow the facts, to embrace science and reason. The reason why I am a Buddhist is because they typically don't ignore scientific fact in favor of religious reasons, they tend to be peaceful people, and one of the few religions that hasn't used their religion as an excuse to start a war. And my branch of Buddhism (Soto Zen) doesn't have an offical stance on God, and most tend to be agnostic or athiest.
Whew. All that being said, I like the athiests. I have far more in common with them. I actually consider myself a humanist, and if given a choice to build a hospital or a church (even a Buddhist church), I would pick a hospital without a second thought. I am a staunch supported of gay rights, womens right, pro-choice, a strong believe in science and the scientific method (all are reasons why I left the Christian faith at 18).
I recently discovered a popular athiest writer, Greta Christina, who write some wonderful articles covering a variety of topics. I enjoy her work, and encourage anyone who randomly stumbles across this blog to go check her out:
http://www.alternet.org/authors/8504/

No comments:

Post a Comment