Friday, May 15, 2009

Bring on the Arts!

The 2009-2010 concert season looks like it's going to be freaking awesome! While I'm not a theater or music geek like so many of my friends, I do enjoy a good show. So, here are the upcoming shows I hope to see:


Bellydance Superstars Oct. 2-3, 2009
I love bellydance. Sony and I will often break out in random bellydance moves whenever we're together. I've even done a public performance or two. I'm particularly into tribal fusion, how can you hate dressing up in elaborate shiny outfits and dancing to heavy drum and techno beats? I hope Sony is in the state for the performance, because I know she would hate to miss it.
$23-$33



East Village Opera Company
Feb 12, 2010


I'll put it this way:
The East Village Opera Company consists of a powerhouse rock band, a string quartet, and two classically trained vocalists. I love rock opera sound, and this group seems very promising. I love the way they mix and modernize well known classical songs, giving them an edgy sound, like Trans Siberian Orchestra did with Christmas music.
Check out a video of them here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrt9_iGUqkY
$17-$38




Chicago
Feb 23-28, 2010
I saw the movie when I was a kid, and loved it. Scandal, jazz, sex, secrets, fingerwaves, and fishnets. I mean, come on, this show defined the standard for Broadway musical. I'm pretty excited to hear that they will be visiting my humble state in Feb of 2010. I will be there!
$43-$68



These are the big three I would like to see. However, two more artists caught my eye. The first one, who will be playing a show on September 19th, 2009, is Vienna Teng. I looked her up on YouTube, and her smooth alternative-classical sounds quickly won me over. She's a more classical version of Nora Jones, and her piano skills are impressive. The other artist was the Ahn Trio, a trio of Asian sisters who play the piano, violin, and cello, and explore the limits of their music. They belnd their sounds together beautifully, especially in the song "Dies Irie"
They play March 5th of next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment