Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Rebirth

The Spring semester ended a week ago.
My grades came in a few days later:
Technical Writing: A
College Algebra: B
Intro to Organic/Biochem: B
Statistics: C
Weight Training: A

I passed Chemistry!
Actually, I have never failed Chemistry. I usually get D's, when I need a C or higher to start my labs and continue my dream degree. Most people hate chemistry classes. I love chemistry, I'm just not very good at it. What saved me was Biochemistry; it's close relation to biology makes it easier for me to comprehend.

This means I may now advance to my labs. I registered for Hematology and Microbiology, as well as more Chemistry, in case I decide to go for a Biology minor. I've been looking forward to taking Micro and Hema for over a year!

I am finally advancing forward.
This semester was the toughest yet, with 18 credits. Fortunately, only one case of strep! (In 2007, I had 10 cases of strep between January and August, one of which included scarlet fever and an ER visit. I was immuno-compromised that year due to a previous illness). Despite the challenging semester, it was a good one for me, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. I am finally figuring out who I am, and who I wish to become.

However, during the rush and chaos of the semester, I did not have the luxury of time to dwell on who I was, and more importantly, who I wanted to become. I just wanted to get through the semester. Finals descended like a Class 5 hurricane, and I endured with massive amounts of caffeine, late night study hours, cheap food, and two minute showers. I emerged, sleep-deprived and unshaven, with a sigh a relief and a higher GPA. I went home and collapsed into a 14 hour sleep coma.

When I awoke, the scheming began. A scheme of rebirth.

I have a much better sense of direction in my life now, more then I ever did before. Much of my uncertainty and hesitance has vanished; that which has not vanished, I simply made my peace with.
I have a vision of the person I would like to become. It is not a static ideal; it is flexible and open to change. It is simply an ideal of betterment, goals I would like to achieve, things I would like to own, values I would hold.

Who I am:
-I love to read, mostly fiction, sci-fi, literature, and medical/science non-fiction.
- I hate drunks. I have never been drunk. I will never be drunk. While the taste of good beer and wine is nice, I usually have about 3-5 ounces and then move onto water or tea.
- I am a geek. And a nerd. And a dork.
- I like strong tea.
- I often neglect my appearance after three weeks into the semester. My hair will grow out until I have 5 inch roots showing, my cosmetics and moisturizers forgotten, and my hair thrown up in a hurried ponytail. I grab clothes, put on deodarant, and rush out the door. (I do not like this about myself.)
- I am a Buddhist (Soto Zen tradition).
- I like shooting guns, but I do not care if I ever own one.
- I like expensive purfume. Jasmine Noir by Bulgari is my current favorite.
- I like an occasional cigar.
- I am a feminist. An actual, egalitarian feminist, not a man-hating hyprocrite.
- I love science. Particularly biochemistry, physiology, pathology, medical technology, physics, virology, and biology.
- When the anxitey starts to set in, I hide in the comfort of logic and science.
- I like fast cars and motorcycles.
- I support equal rights.
- My favorite flowers are lotus, orchids, and deep red roses.
- I dont usually drink coffee, but when I do, I like it black. Or with vanilla creamer. Yum.
- I drink SlimFast for breakfast, not necessarily for the diet appeal, but because it's a quick breakfast.
- I have a weakness for black leather, especially in the form of shoes, purses, and coats.
- On the rare occasion I do drink, I like beer dark and preferrably imported, and the wine, red.
- I don't care if I ever get married or have kids. Single life, married life, life with kids, and life without kids each have their own joys and disappointments. I learn to live with the joys in the life I have now (Unmarried, dating, no children), and should my life situation change, I will discover new joys and sorrows.
- I'm not a computer expert, but I know what I like and what I dislike. (Windows Vista = Evil)
- I speak passable French. It's actually a fun language after the first three years. I would like to learn Japanese.
- I have a weakness for cute things.


Things I would like to achieve (in order of achievablitiy. Some of these I will achieve by the end of the year, some of these in 10 years):

* I would like to raise my GPA to a 3.2. Right now I am at a 2.7

* I would like to lose some weight, and stay healthy. I plan on working out three times a week this summer during my break from classes. Five times a week would be ideal, but minimum of three times a week, to be realistic.

* I would like to maintain a professional appearance in my my college career and professional career. This means maintaining a postive and appropriate attitude.
It also means paying attention to my appearance:
- I will moisturize my face every day.
- I will use the appropriate amount of cosmetics.
- I will work on the rosacea on my face. I hate it. Clinique has some products for rosacea.
- Hair will be done neatly, and cut/colored by a stylist.
- I will wear the right clothes. This means:
+ An actual lab coat to all my lab classes
+ Clean clothes every day (actually, I do this anyways)
+ Scrubs to any medical-based jobs
+ Owning at least two women's suits for job interviews and other professional events, as well as a few extra pairs of nice slacks.

*I would like to be a better Buddhist, and visit the zendo once or twice a week.

* I would like to own a Mac computer. Perferably one desktop and one laptop, unless I find this excessive.

* I would like to have my degree, and be working in my selected field. I would prefer to be living on either the West or East coast.

* I would like to own a car. Something sensible. Nothing too expensive nor too cheap. I love the volkswagon Jetta or the newer Beetles. Audi's are beautiful too, but out of my projected price range. German cars are amazing.

* I would like to own a motorcycle.

* I would like to have either a Master's degree, or a second Bachelor's degree (in biology).

* I would like have an indoor orchid garden.


...this should be fun ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment