Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I Don't Understand People (personal rant)

The hardest thing for me to do is understand why people do the things they do.

I had a fight with my room mate last night. I will admit, I have a slightly higher standard of "clean" then most people. It comes from growing up around my mother, who did not clean, but obsessively sterilize the entire house every weekend. I am not nearly that clean, but I do prefer a clean home.
My room mate and I split the dishes, and we ended up getting into a fight about it. Long story short, when I tell someone to do the dishes, I expect them to be done within 36 hours, not 3-4 days. I also expect any trash accumulated to be thrown into the trashcan, not left on the counter.
Issac complained that I acted like he did not live there and said that if there were any chores to be done, that I should tell him.
This further pissed me off. My mother does not come into my apartment and tell me what needs to be cleaned. I am perfectly capable of observing messes and cleaning them up. I should not have to tell him when and what to clean. If I can see what needs to be cleaned, so should he.

Patrick, who was there to observe the fight, pissed me off even further by saying "You honestly expect a guy to be proactive about cleaning?"

Wow, sexist much, Patrick?

Cleaning has nothing to do with sex and gender. It is about being an adult. Its about responsibility and doing things even though you don't want to. I just wish my room mate would take some responsibility.How hard is that?

His job is a part time math tutor, his major is Theater (and another in Math), and his biggest projects right now are Ren Faire and giving his girlfriend four orgasms a day. It's not like he comes home completely exhausted or stressed every day. Meanwhile I'm working on my Med Tech degree, I just finished a semester of 18 credits, and am taking 9 summer credits, and will soon have a job. On top of that, I am now going through summer insomnia, which means I am constantly wanting a nap.

I ended up deciding to buy myself dishes that I like, give Issac the old ones (he does not have any outside of three bowls), and agree that we will wash our own dishes.

We're better now, but it was still one hell of a fight.

Another event happened that which is a good example of human nature:
One of my closest friends, Ryan, was interested a while back in a woman named Heather. Unfortunately, so were two of his good friends. A lot of drama ensued, and finally they all agreed, for the sake of the friendship, not to date her. One of the friends, Josh, actually forced Ryan into promising this. Then, two weeks ago, Josh asked her out, and they are now dating.

Pretty lousy, eh?

To further the irony, Josh is a Christian. A hardcore, in-your-face, loud and proud, Evangelical Christian.
And then he goes and commits an thoughless, selfish, dihonerable, sleezy, and very unChristian act. (Which Evangelicals are prone to doing.)

Makes me glad I am now a Buddhist. It took me a long time to get away from the hyprocritical Christians of my old community, but I am much happier now. Its not that Christian part that bugs me, I love (most) Christians, and I like the actual teachings of Jesus. I don't like when people make a big deal about how great of a Christian they are, and then commit extremely unchrisitian acts. If you're going to be a Christian, be a good Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment